Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Help your sisters in need

Man-who-keeps-my-toes-warm, a.k.a Astrogeek, is currently in training to follow his calling to aid those in crisis, specifically victims of violence and trauma. He comes home from these trainings looking drained and low, as if the gravity of all that information just drags him down, but he wants to serve so back he goes and absorbs more information. Hopefully the end result will be for him to be better equipped to aid those in need, not have a total mental breakdown from depressing-information-overload. Hey, there's a reason I don't watch TV and don't go out much: I know what's out there and I don't want to deal with it. The fact that he's willing to clean up the mess shows he's got more of a backbone that I do sometimes.

To that end, I promised FranIAm that I would pass this along. Please go to the Pretty Bird Woman House website, READ what they have to say, and donate. I'm cash poor right now, but they also request other items for use in the shelter, such as toiletries and clothing, and I know I can fulfill that request no problem, maybe even ask local resources to chip in.

I can't stop the war in Iraq or end all injustice in the world single handedly, but if I can help a woman in need, then at least I've done something. It doesn't seem like much, but if you've been that woman in need, you know it means a lot. So reach out a hand and help a Native sister, and don't forget to look around your own town to find a shelter in need. Please do all you can to help the helpers, as well as the victims. They both need you.

2 Comments:

At 11/07/2007 , Blogger Betsy said...

Thanks so much for posting this. I created the blog to start up the fundraising for PBWH when I found out they lost their house. They've only been around going on 3 years and are therefore still struggling.

The stories are heartbreaking. Just yesterday I found out that a woman who had been raped was let out of the hospital with just a gown and a blanket because they needed all of her clothes for evidence. These dedicated women are now making sure that women in these situations are no longer abandoned. They're also making sure the perpetrators are taken to court as well.

Anything you can do to help is much appreciated. They are very short of resources, but long on love and dedication, right now.

 
At 11/07/2007 , Blogger kimono hime said...

I'll pull all the resources I can, Betsy. Thanks for doing such good work!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home